Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Needle and the Damage Done

Last week I found out that another former running buddy of mine died from a heroin overdose. She left behind 3 kids.

I was talking to Meesh about it, and all I could think of was the old saying, but for the grace of G-d go I.

The stars must have been aligned that day in 1994 when I hit rock bottom and asked for help. If my parents hadn't been home to answer my desperate call, I am sure that I would not be here today.

Of all the people I ran with back in the day, I think I'm the only one that really made it out. The three roommates that I lived with from '85-'86 are all dead. One of them, my boyfriend and longest relationship (9 years,) Danny Santa Cruz, was murdered.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it out with my health, but I did make it out and that's all that matters.

But for the grace of G-d go I. Indeed.


Me & Danny 1986

5 comments:

Jim Marquis said...

Sorry for your loss, Lizzy. You should give yourself a pat on the back for taking your life back.

M said...

I'm so glad you're here, Lizzy, and that you have been back in my life for so long again. Lizzy and I first met in junior high, where a mutual friend introduced us because we were both big KISS fans. We were roommates, even, after high school until we split apart. We reunited in 1995-ish and have been even closer since.

Love you, my friend.

Lizzy said...

You mean the world to me, Meesh.

Thanks, J.

Snave said...

Lizzy, my condolences to you for the loss of a friend! As J. and Moto said, it is good that you have been in charge of your life for a while now! Keep up your good work!

Lizzy said...

Thanks, Snave.