Friday, April 29, 2005

Sick, for real

As a little girl, I had one sore throat and cold, after another. I missed a lot of school. Looking back, I'm sure it was untreated allergies. When I was about 13, I finally went to an allergy doctor. After testing, they discovered that my ragweed, dust, and mold scores (among others) were off the charts. They treated me for a few years with shots and medication, and I have been virtually cold-free ever since.

A couple of days ago, I started sneezing really bad. The next day I woke up with a full-blown cold, and now I have a cold and cough.

I literally don't remember the last time I've been sick like this. I wonder if getting off the program lowered my immune system defenses. Maybe this is my body's way of ridding itself of the remaining methadone. Whatever it is, I wish it would go away. I hate feeling like this.

5 comments:

M said...

I seem to remember going with you to get allergy shots eons ago and then being so happy that you were done with that.

Maybe your theory is right, though. The body is a strange thing - sneezing, coughing and runny noses are definitely designed to get rid of things.

Maybe T can make you some herbal tea with lemon. Rest, rest, rest. A doctor told me once to take lots of steamy showers to keep the fluids running, and drink tons of water.

Lizzy said...

Thanks, M. Will do.

Damien said...

Keep pushing the fluids Lizzy.

sleepybomb said...

i grew up as one the most allergic kids ever. i couldn't do anything in my first couple of years. that was all gone by 5 and i spent a long time not bothered by anything but nuts, (something to do with my chemistry, but i was always bad at that in school).
and now i have been living with rheumatoid arthitis,in it's most violent form, for over 10 years now. i never used to get sick, or tired. since 96 it is a constant battle. everything always hurts, i am always tired and i can't do the things i love to do, play guitar for one, w/out extreme pain, and my favorite part of my day is nap time.
but while all my buddies that fucked with 'h' are either dead or still junkin, i didn't mess w/ it then and i am glad. i saw what the affects are . . . but even with r.a. i am still relatively happy.
i am sorry you have to deal with this thing. you sound like you are getting over it with alot of dignity and if the cold is bringing ya down, think of the alternative.
you are one brave girl. . . . drink plenty of water, get plenty of sleep and it'll all work out.

Snave said...

Like Damien says, push lotsa fluids. Make peeing your new hobby!! Keep working, keep persevering. I know you'll make it!