Friday, April 20, 2007

You can hear the quiet rumblings of impeachment (FINALLY)


I received a call from the DNC the other day asking for money, again. I can usually be counted on for a few bucks here and there, but not that day. I was feeling particularly feisty, and when they told me that the call was being recorded, I took that as my cue to let them have it.

I told them that they're not getting another dime out of me until a Senator or Representative brings up impeachment and/or I see proof that the Dems are standing up to Bush on the war spending bill. Period.

I've heard a lot of tough talk from Harry Reid, & Nancy Pelosi, but I think in the end, Dumbya is going to get what he wants -- a blank check with no timetable for withdrawal.

Did I speak too soon?

The following day, this story came out -
___
From The Washington Post:
Articles of Impeachment To Be Filed On Cheney

Looks like he's reached his boiling point.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), the most liberal of the Democratic presidential candidates in the primary field, declared in a letter sent to his Democratic House colleagues this morning that he plans to file articles of impeachment against Vice President Dick Cheney.

Kucinich has made ending the war in Iraq the central theme of his campaign. He has even taken aim at the leading Democratic presidential candidates in the field for their votes on authorizing the war. (More...)
___

And, today Motomama emailed this to me:
___

From CNN -
Vermont Senate calls for impeachment of Bush

MONTPELIER, Vermont (AP) -- Vermont senators voted Friday to call for the impeachment of President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, saying their actions in Iraq and the U.S. "raise serious questions of constitutionality." (More...)
___

I highly doubt the impeachment talk is going to go anywhere, but at least the subject is being raised. It's about time, huh.

On a side note, that very same day, I got a call from Russ Feingold's Progressive Patriot's Fund, asking me to be a part of their Patriot Corps. I gladly accepted. I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- Feingold should be the candidate. Maybe next time...

I believe it's only a matter of time before Russ brings up the "I" word, too.

And, of course, Feingold is ahead of the curve on this issue:

Co-Sponsor the Feingold-Reid 'Power of the Purse' Bill to Safely Redeploy our Troops from Iraq

9 comments:

PoliShifter said...

It's really going to be a tough slog.

I really hope Congress does not cave on this one.

In regards to impeaching Cheney, I would love to see it.

However as Frog points out, impeaching Cheney let's Bush appoint a new VP and I hear Bush is considering making Jeb VP in the event that Cheney steps down, resigns, or gets impeached.

We really need to impeach both simultaneously.

But hell, at least Kucinich has the balls to bring it. Everyone else on Congress (with the exception of perhaps Conyers and a few others) are too busy handwringing and making excuses about why not to impeach.

Jim Marquis said...

I gotta give Kucinich kudos. He's got a lot of moxie.

I really think we're just a couple scandals away from this movement getting some momentum. Based on their track record, that means proceedings should start by the first of June or so...

Tom Harper said...

This is great news. Whether or not impeachment succeeds, those wheels need to keep turning.

Who Hijacked Our Country

1138 said...

Unfortunately it's going to amount to spitting in the wind.

polshifter, congress won't approve Jeb.

Anonymous said...

I gotta give Kucinich kudos. He's got a lot of moxie.

Like I said over on Blognonymous, great idea...lousy timing. I'd rather see them both go together. Don't want Michael or Rice as Veep.

Snave said...

Good for Dennis Kucinich! I hope he finds a few people in the House who are not afraid to listen to him and act on what he suggests.

As for the Vermont news, while I think it's mostly symbolic, things such as that will be more than symbolic if other states begin to follow suit. Is the Iraq war draining federal funds from state coffers? I don't know, but in a country as driven by the dollar as the U.S., I have to believe the states are going to be feeling slighted as the debt goes up and the war spending grows. People are going to want to see results from what their tax dollars are going into, and the only result of the Iraq war so far is that there are more terrorists than before we invaded, and it is shaping up as an endless money hole.

Lizzy, I said the same thing to the Democrats when they called me asking for money. I said they needed people in leadership positions with guts enough to stand up to Bush, and that this current spending bill is a standoff... whoever blinks first loses... and if it's the Democrats who blink first, I am probably not going to be very willing to give them any of my money for quite some time to come.

The idea of Jeb becoming VP does sound like a kind of worst-case scenario... I also doubt Congress would approve Jeb as VP. Jeb will probably run for president sooner or later anyway, and the thought of that possibility is nightmarish enough. The mention of Jeb always makes me think of the word "dynasty" for some reason or other...

I agree with Major, I think we're just a couple more scandals away from seeing some real fireworks. I think that if Dems have the balls to pursue Gonzales until he is nailed for covering up information and lying to the Senate, it will provide the kind of springboard necessary for getting rid of BOTH Bush and Cheney.

But I like Kucinich's thinking, anyway! Just about any time any Democrat is brave enough to stand up like that and support such strong measures against the current administration, he or she will have my support.

1138 said...

I'm as supporting of symbolism as the next guy, but when all I see is symbolism accompanied by relentless capitulation, I have to stop and say no.
No, no more symbolism, no more capitulation, I want action and won't clap for false symbols and business as usual.
If this bunch can't get the Republicans to cooperate, then they have an obligation to shut the government down - or we do.

Lizzy said...

Polishifter, Where did you hear that Jeb was being considered for VP? As much as a truly hate Cheney, like Snave said, bringing Jeb in would be a worst case scenario. I know that a Presidential run is in Jeb's future, but having him as VP, would only bring him that much closer. Let's not forget that Jeb was a part of the Project for a New American Century before 9/11. He's got very dirty hands.

J, I give Kucinich kudos, as well. The more I hear from him, the more I think I backed the wrong horse (Obama.) Kucinich does represent my, and our, interests.

Tom, Great news, indeed.

1138, I agree that right now it does amount to spitting in the wind, but it's a start, and hopefully the momentum will grow.

kvatch, I'd like to see Bush & Cheney leave together, as well. They can take the rest of the admin with 'em, too, if I had my way.

Snave, I agree with everything you said. It's good to hear that you told the Dems the same thing when they called you. I hope they are hearing that a lot. I refuse to keep throwing money at them without results. Sure, they have done some good work already, but when it comes to the really big stuff, they are still coming up short. If they are unable to get it together, and pull some Repubs over, to stand up to Bush on the war spending bill, I may switch parties. I've always identified with the Greens more than the Dems anyway. This could be the issue that sends me over the edge. Time will tell.

Damien said...

Its starting I can hear the fright train a comming and Cheneys on the tracks!!!