Sunday, August 22, 2004

Family Differences - 1st in a series

For some time now, a feeling of resentment has been brewing inside of me. No, it is not about politics, (this time) nor is it about anything else you might be thinking. It is about the differences in families. I don't know if it was because I was raised as a Jew, or it is because my family instilled the importance of family in me at a very early age, but what I've been observing on my fiance's side has been astounding.

In order to share this story, I'll have to start from the beginning, when things seemed different.

I met "T" in 1982. I went along with my friend, M, to his house for his 18th birthday. Everything was going fine until a skinhead friend of ours tried to make out with me in the backyard. When I said no, this "friend" started being mean to me. That is when T stepped in. He saw what happened & then hung with me for the rest of the night. Needless to say, we became a couple.

We stayed together through many ups & downs for the next 9 months or so. After I graduated high school, we started to go our seperate ways.

T and his parents had some knock-down drag-out fights when I was there, but it was never anything too serious. Other than making me & my friends uncomfortable by fighting in front of us, his parents seemed alright. They got dressed up & went out regularly, and their house was clean and presentable.

Cut to 19 years later...

No comments: