Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ron Paul - a worthwhile Republican


(I posted this for about an hour a couple days ago, but took it down. However, after watching with horror as the Democrats caved in to Bush today on the war, I decided to put it back up.)

I never thought it would happen, and you may think this is a joke, but I am considering throwing my support behind a Republican.

While I do not agree with Ron Paul on everything, (especially his pro-life/anti-choice stance) he is a straight-shooter, and doesn't talk from both sides of his mouth...like Hillary & Obama.
_________________________________________
From RonPaul2008.com:

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.

____________________________________

A true-blue liberal endorsing a Republican? Maybe.

Watch the video.

10 comments:

Jim Marquis said...

I have to admit he seems like a really intelligent, thoughtful guy. I don't think he has much of a shot but I would at least keep my mind open...

Snave said...

I would like to see him steadily gain support within the Republican party. I think a lot of Republican voters would vote for him, if it was possible for him to get the nomination... but alas, I don't think he can get nominated because too much of what he stands for goes against the current Republican party power structure.

If he can't be nominated, I hope he will run as a third-party candidate and siphon off more Republican votes than Democrat votes. Due to public dissatisfaction with both the GOP and the Dems, I think Paul would take away votes from both parties. I actually believe that he might be able to get 15% to 20% of the vote...

What would happen if the next election somehow turned into a genuine three-way race, and no candidate got enough electoral votes to win the presidency? There must be some kind of law about that on the books somewhere...

Anyway, let's say Paul did run as an independent and that he did get 20% of the vote. I think the GOP candidate would get about 35% and the Dems about 40 to 45%... that Paul would siphon off about 10-15% of the GOP vote and 5-10% of the Democratic vote. Still, if the Dems could get into the low 40's, that might be enough votes for them to get the electoral votes they would need...

LET'S TALK said...

Paul sounds great, but the Republicans are not looking for this type of man running their party.

To jump on his boat, (which is going no where), and leave the Democratic party might cause the wrong person to take control of this country again and we dont need that.

LET'S TALK said...

By the way Lizzy, I can't believe you have not made a comment on my other site Let's Talk About It, in reference to the possible fireing of Bill Maher from his cable show.

Lizzy said...

For me, Ron Paul represents the type of candidate I'm looking for. He stands by his convictions and doesn't change with the polls. It's very refreshing.

I'm still holding out some hope that Feingold changes his mind and jumps in. Until then, like Jim said, I'm keeping my mind open.

There is still a lot of time.

Snave, I agree. His best bet is to run as a third-party candidate. Great insight.

LT, I'm not ready to jump ship just yet, but I am extremely displeased with the Dems right now.

I highly doubt that HBO would fire Maher.

Damien said...

Actually I thought if any Republican would have come up on anyones radar it would have been Ron, i guess he's the only guy standing out because he's taking a common sense approuch.

LET'S TALK said...

Lizzy I found a Ron Paul teaching lesson to another Republican.

1138 said...

The problem is that Ron Paul is a RINO. He's going to take meat out of the left middle more than he will the non existent right middle.

Lizzy said...

Damien, I wish he would stand out a little more.

Thanks for the link, LT. Ron Paul was right, and Rudy's response was absurd.

You may have a point, 1138, but I still like him.

1138 said...

After the last 6 years I can't bring myself to like anyone that puts that murdering R next to their name.