Monday, January 29, 2007

Under pressure


Being a slacker was easier.

I'm in week 4 of school, and the pressure is on.

I'm trying to learn a massive program (Photoshop) on a computer that I have no experience with (Mac), in a very short span of time (3 months.)

Before class, I told the instructor that this isn't easy for someone who hasn't been to school in 23 years. I told him that I'm struggling and I might need extra help. By the end of class, he made it a point to tell me that I'm right where I'm supposed to be, and I'm doing fine. While that was nice to hear, I still walked out of there with major anxieties. I tend to fold under stress, but I'm hanging in there.

I'm sorry if I'm not commenting on everyone's blogs right now. Some things may fall by the wayside while I have my freak-out. Rest assured, I'm reading every one of your posts.

In the meantime, I will still watch Olbermann and Jon Stewart every night, but as far as other TV news goes, if the subject isn't blocking the troop escalation or the impeachment of GWB, I don't want to hear it...at least for today.

10 comments:

Jim Marquis said...

Hang in there, kiddo. I'm sure you'll do great.

PoliShifter said...

What version of photoshop are you tooling with? Have you tried a tutorial?

Some of these graphics programs can be very overwhelming but many have nice baby-step tutorials. Solid Works 3 had a nice tutorial

I recently downloaded a trial version of Maya, a 3-D graphics program...talk about overwhelming! I've never seen so many buttons!

Anyway, just hang in there. The important thing I have found at least for myself is to remember not to get intimidated.

All this bullshit was created by a human being and thus you too can figure it out.

Lizzy said...

Thanks, J. I appreciate that.

Polishifter, I'm using the newest version, CS2. Thanks for the tip about Solid Works. I'll check it out.

I downloaded the trial version of Maya a couple years ago. I took one look at it then promptly uninstalled it! Intimidating, to say the least.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Snave said...

Keep at it! I speak for lots of us, I'm sure, when I say we admire you for making the effort to go back to college when you haven't been for a long time, especially with you knowing that if might be difficult for you to manage. I'm sure you will do fine, though. It was great of your prof to reassure you!

College isn't easy for everybody, regardless of their age or how long it has been since there were in school. Kit and I are helping my older daughter (who will be 20 in a few months) get back on track with her college education... she was living in the dorms here at the local college, and we thought she was doing o.k. in school, but her mental illness (severe social anxiety and general anxiety disorder) took over and she had flunked out for a few straight terms. We never knew about this until her psychologist, with my daughter's approval, called me and told me we all needed to have a summit meeting... heh... Some kind people at the school got her a medical withdrawal for fall term so the Fs wouldn't have to go on her report card. We spent something like $3600 to pay off money she owed the college. She moved back into the house with us, and seems to be doing o.k. so far. She doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence, but she is attending classes and doesn't seem to have any self-injurious behaviors. Having her home is good for all of us, anyway.

Lizzy said...

Thanks, Snave. It isn't easy, but I'm hanging in there.

It sounds like your daughter is doing better. The self-confidence thing is a big issue that a lot of us have. With the help of her great parents, I'm sure she'll be fine.

1138 said...

It's not like you're taking a detour.
It sounds to me like you're doing what we all should re enforcing and adding to your reserves.
It doesn't feel like it at the moment, but it will later.
The world isn't one dimensional and you are doing a very smart thing building in other dimensions.

Lizzy said...

Thanks, 1138.

BTW, you just blew my mind.

1138 said...

How so?

Lizzy said...

The world isn't one dimensional and you are doing a very smart thing building in other dimensions.

1138 said...

Oh, It was probably just a hang over from seeing "The Last Starfighter" again a few weeks ago.