Sunday, July 18, 2004

There are worse things than OCD

Personally, I don't find having OCD a bad thing. If I were to be treated for it, I don't think I would get as much done.

I was diagnosed with OCD a couple of years ago. Looking back over my lifetime, I believe I was born with it. I think my Grandpa had it, so it must be in my genes. It manifests itself in just about everything I do. From rotating the towels, silverware, glassware, soft drinks, etc, to checking & rechecking the locks on the house, to organizing & reorganizing everything, to always having a bottle of Windex nearby, to hair pulling, it can be exhausting. I think it's the hardest on my fiance, Tom. I tend to drive him a little crazy.

OCD seems to be the "it" disorder these days, if that's possible. TV shows like the excellent, "Monk," and movies like "As Good As it Gets" brings it out into the light. I find that comforting.

There are many celebrities with it such as Donald Trump, Harrison Ford, Cameron Diaz, Roseanne, Billy Bob Thornton, and the late great, Warren Zevon.

Gotta take the dogs out. I'll write more later.



No comments: